Catkin and Scrapz is an Ulverston based online shop, offering dressmaking fabrics, vintage haberdashery and handmade items. They are now… Continue Reading
A new rock climbing centre called The Wall will be opening in Ulverston on the 1st of October. The new… Continue Reading
The Vintage Village Hall (The VVH Girls) have created an afternoon tea delivery service for Ulverston and the surrounding area.… Continue Reading
With independent shops, traditional markets, beautiful walks, welcoming cafes & pubs and interesting things to see and do, Ulverston has so much to offer. Click the options below to learn more or view our What's On section above to view Ulverston's upcoming events and festivals.
The Roxy Cinema is a traditional family cinema with over 300 seats in an Art Deco auditorium. We also have one of the largest CinemaScope screens in Cumbria.
Adult – £6
Child – (14 and under) and Senior Citizens – £5
Film Club members – £5.50 (in season)
The Roxy opened on Monday 21st June 1937 with ‘Rose Marie’ starring Nelson Eddy and Jeanette MacDonald. The cinema was designed by Drury and Gomersall for the James Brennan circuit which had several cinemas in the Furness and Kendal districts at the time. The cinema seated a total of 1250 : 850 in the stalls and 400 in the circle and balcony. Simplex projectors and Western Electric ‘Mirrophonic’ sound were installed.
Within a couple of years control had passed to Henry Simpson, who ran the Roxy for many years. When he died in the 1960s, his brother Jack took over. In 1974 the building was sold to Brooks Wilkinson Ltd (who shortly afterwards also operated the J & A twin cinemas in Kirkby, near Liverpool, for a short time). The cinema was then split into a cinema/bingo operation, with the cinema confined to the original circle. Jack Simpson continued to operate the cinema side until the mid 1970s, after which Brooks Wilkinson ran it themselves.
The Old Vic and Palladium cinemas closed many years ago but the Roxy continued, suffering somewhat when the Apollo six-screen cinema opened inBarrow-in-Furness in 1999. The cinema was briefly leased to Peter Lea, under the name Starlight Cinemas Ltd, in 2001, who made one or two changes including the replacement of the Westar/Westrex projection equipment with a Cinemeccanica Victoria 4, but scarcely more than six months later it reverted to Brooks Wilkinson.
In September 2006 Northern Morris Cinemas leased the cinema, then in May 2007 the bingo operation ceased and soon afterwards the building was sold to Mrs. A. Armer, who was also connected with the C.A.W. waste disposal company in Barrow-in-Furness.
Brogden Street, Ulverston, Cumbria LA12 7AH
Call: 01229 582340
If you are thinking about moving to Ulverston and would like to know more about life in the South Lakeland town, view our Living section for all of the essential information. We have a selection of blogs from residents, business owners and general Ulverston enthusiasts to give you an insight into Ulverston life.