The Festival Town on the Edge of the Lake District
Step by Step
- Start at The Gill
- Head up Stanley Street and then turn right at Garden Terrace and then left up Soutergate
- Walk about 0.2 miles/0.32 km up the road and turn right up Chittery Lane
- You will reach a T-junction, go left and follow the track and you will start to get a view of Ulverston to your left.
- The track curves around the hill and will come out on a straight section going down the hill, you will get a nice view over Hoad, Ulverston and the bay to your right.
- Keep walking and you will get to a gate, go through and follow the path on your right, this will take you to the top of Hoad.
- Once you reach the top you will be immediately confronted by views across to the Lake District and down over Ulverston town and Morecambe Bay.
- Take in the views and then start to make your way back down the stone path, about 0.04 miles/0.06 km down the track you need to head right and then join onto the path that goes down to the bottom.
- At the bottom of this track is a gate, go through it and take a left shortly followed by a right to head into Ford Park.
- Follow the path which will then come out on Ford Park Crescent
- Ford Park Crescent then merges with Hart Street and then Fountain Street
- At the end of Fountain Street cross the road and go up Mill Street (You will see the Mill on the right)
- This will bring you back out onto The Gill
Difficulty – Uphill from the start but the climbs are quite gradual.
Wheelchair Friendly – No
Things to See – Wildlife, Landscape, The Canal, The Coast, Shops
Places to Eat/Drink – Bici Cafe, Ford Park Cafe, The Mill, The Kings Arms (Big Kings)
Distance – 2.42 miles/3.89 km
Terrain – Roads, rough track and grass – wear boots
Start point – The Gill
Watch the walk – YouTube
1 . View over Hoad and the Bay
3. View over the Lake District and Ulverston