The Festival Town on the Edge of the Lake District
The monument stands on Hoad Hill overlooking the town of Ulverston.
Under the ownership of Ulverston Town Council, it is run by volunteer Lighthouse keepers, who open it most Sundays from Easter – October from 1 – 5pm.
The flag flies on Hoad Hill when it is open. It is a grade II* listed structure. Hoad Hill affords glorious views over Morecambe Bay, the Langdales and the Yorkshire Dales. The monument is a memorial to Sir John Barrow, who was born in Ulverston. When Sir John Barrow died on 23 November 1848 it was agreed that this locally born English statesman should have a monument to celebrate his life and work. In 1850, work began on the monument which was paid for by public subscription, and which is in the style of a Lighthouse.
In 2008 Ulverston Town Council, led by the late Cllr Colin Hodgson and the Friends of the Sir John Barrow Monument submitted a successful application to the Heritage Lottery Fund and the one million+ restoration project commenced. The newly refurbished monument was unveiled on Sunday 23 August 2010 by Sir John Barrow, the 7th Baronet of Ulverston.